How to Make Vegan Dog Food
- 1 1/2 cups tofu
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 cup black eyed peas, cooked
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 4 teaspoons Azestfor Homemade Dog Food Vitamins
Add the Azestfor Vitamin Mineral supplement powder for dogs to ensure they get everything they need to thrive.
This recipe will yield approximately 1 1/4 lbs of food. Equating to 765 calories (Kcals) Approximately enough servings of food for one day for an 30 lb dog to maintain weight.
This Homemade Vegan Dog Food recipe is great for a vegan or vegetarian diet or a dog with common protein allergies. This recipe combines tofu, rice and black eyed peas for a unique and filling meal.
Drain tofu from water and chop to bite sizes.
Place rice in a saucepan with double the amount of water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat all the way down and cover the pan tightly with a lid. Cook on the lowest heat possible for 10-15 mins without uncovering the pan. Use a fork to fluff up the cooked rice.
Soaking is not essential for black-eyed peas, but cooking time can be shortened if they get a quick soak in hot water (as opposed to a longer one in cold water, like other beans). Place dried peas in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove pot from heat and allow to stand for 60-90 minutes. Drain water and replace with fresh, cold water for cooking – or if you skipped the hot-soaking step, just rinse and add cold water. Place on stove and bring to a boil in a pot with a lid. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, tilting the lid slightly to allow steam to escape, and leave to cook for up to an hour, or until tender.
Sunflower oil is added as a source of linoleic acid. If you would like a substitute oil you can add Wheat germ, Walnut or Corn oil in the ratio of 1.2 per 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil.
When the tofu, rice and black eyed peas are cool to touch you can add the Azestfor nutritional supplements. Heat destroys the potency of vitamins.
Watch Instructional Cooking Video How to Make Homemade Vegan Dog Food:
The recipe can be prepared in large batches and frozen. It will keep for up to a year in the freezer, or one week in the fridge.
Freezing vitamins preserves their potency. I would recommend portioning the food into meal size servings before freezing it.
To defrost a frozen meal – put it in the fridge overnight.
We suggest dividing the daily amount into two servings, one in the morning and one in the evening. Every dog’s nutritional requirements are a little bit different due to age & amount of exercise. If your dog is losing weight, increase food by 1/4 cup a day, if they are gaining weight reduce accordingly.
Weight of Dog
- 5 lbs to maintain weight 1 cup (7.4 oz) per day
- 10 lbs to maintain weight 1 1/2 cups (12.5 oz) per day
- 15 lbs to maintain weight 2 cups (17 oz) per day
- 20 lbs to maintain weight 2 2/3 cups (21 oz) per day
- 30 lbs to maintain weight 3 1/2 cups (28.5 oz) per day
- 40 lbs to maintain weight 4 1/2 cups (35.4 oz) per day
- 50 lbs to maintain weight 5 1/4 cups (42 oz) per day
- 60 lbs to maintain weight 6 cups (48 oz) per day
- 70 lbs to maintain weight 6 3/4 cups (54 oz) per day
- 80 lbs to maintain weight 7 1/2 cups (60 oz) per day
- 90 lbs to maintain weight 8 cups (65 oz) per day
Shopping Check List:
- Black Eyed Peas
- Sunflower Oil
- Azestfor Homemade Dog Food Vitamins
- Freezer bags or other storage containers